There has been public education in the Parish of Bray since 1683. In those early days it was provided for twelve boys of the parish in the ‘Old School Room’, which is now the church hall for St Michael’s. In 1848 it was decided to build a new school in a more central position on land given by the Fishmonger’s Company ‘for the education of children and adults or children only, for the labouring, manufacturing and other poorer classes in the parish of Bray’. This building served as the village school until December 1967.
The Church of England Controlled Primary School was opened in January 1968. However, following extensive consultation, in September 2002 the school changed its status to become the present Church of England Aided Primary School.
The school was built in a semi open plan style for 210 pupils. During the seventies, the village grew and in 1983, three further classrooms were built, giving us accommodation for up to 300 pupils. In 1994 a Nursery class was provided to serve the community. A further classroom was added in 2001. Further building modifications resulted in the opening of the school library in March 2002, followed by the ICT suite in September 2002. In 2008 we built our Foundation Stage Unit within the main body of the school.
Following our most recent expansion of our school we can now accommodate 420 full time pupils along with 26 part Nursery children. The school is organised into three departments; Foundation Stage, Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2.